There are many approaches to green screen modernization and depending on what your goals are, solutions will vary.
In some cases, modernizing your existing green screens is the best option whereas others would better suit new web and mobile development.
In this 4-part technical series Nick Hampson and Greg Patterson look at the various approaches to UI modernization and development, and demonstrate how the use of automated tooling makes it easy it is to create modern web interfaces.
Each 30 minute session covers the following:
PART 1: Planning Your UI Modernization Project
There are many factors that contribute to the success of a modernization project, but nothing is more important than building a cohesive and well-thought-out plan. In this session, Nick helps you get your project on the right foot by discussing:
- Things you should consider before modernizing your green screens
- The importance of user experience and tips for effective application design
- How to decide which applications to modernize
Greg also highlights the UI modernization solutions that he demonstrates in subsequent sessions.
PART 2: Achieving Quick Results Out of the Box
Quickly go from green screens to a modern UI with native IBM i, Windows-driven or thin client solutions. In this session, Greg demonstrates how to achieve quick results using Newlook and Presto:
- Modern look and feel out of the box
- Easy access to applications from any device, including mobile
- Global rules that minimize developer effort
PART 3: Improving Workflows with New Functionality
Enhance the end-user experience for your most important screens by adding new functionality that improves workflows. In this session, Greg shows how to:
- Improve the look and functionality of your modernized screens using a visual editor
- Use graphical UI elements (datepickers, dropdowns, etc.) that increase end user productivity
- Add mobile-friendly UI elements to your modernized screens
PART 4: Developing New Strategic Applications
Developing new strategic IBM i applications (B2B order entry, eCommerce, invoicing, inquiries and more) can drive new revenue and increase competitive advantage. In this session, Greg discusses:
- Rapidly developing RPG, and PHP web and mobile applications
- Integrating with other technologies, applications and platforms
- Using APIs to request and receive data from other sources